Friday, June 18, 2010

BLOG POST BY A FELLOW MASTER'S COMPETITOR - I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF! LIKE A FINE WINE!

Like a fine Wine!…

Like a fine wine…. I do not feel like this after 30 years with the iron being my constant opponent. I would assume if I were a fine wine aged 30 years I would be …well awesome! I actually feel more like bruised grapes!

This does not get any easier that is for sure! Multiple surgeries, probably a couple more needed but that would mean time off. It reminds me of that old commercial with Jack Palance. He said, “Getting old it’s not for sissies!” While I do not think I am old yet I am about half way through the race.

The other day while I am preparing all my diet meals fro the day I asked myself why after al this time am I doing this …still. I do not know the answer. I was watching Raising the Bar 3 and Dave said after his last show he would never do it again and he has not. I understand why he says it. The single mindedness it takes to do this sport is taxing to yourself and everyone around you. The constant food preparation…which I cannot figure out how I cook so damn much when I am eating so much less and why the hell am I ALWAYS at the grocery store….WHY!?

Why are we (Rita and I.) going to spend around $5K competing when we could go on a nice ass vacation with all that money and rest and relax? I figured this up the other day and was like f... me! $700 in entries alone for Masters and NAs! That is silly huh!

So why do I do this…because I still love it. I love the challenge. I love being able to be hungry for months and not eat a damn crouton! I love having nothing left in me and still grinding out a hard ass leg workout 3 weeks out. I love that cheating is never even a though. I can make my son waffles and not break!

It is why people climb Everest. Not just because it is there, but because very few people can do it and make it to the top. While I am not at the top I have placed top five in a national show so I am at least in site of the summit. I know that with my torn quad tendons and what not it is doubtful I will summit…actually pretty damn sure of it! But I still want to see how high I can climb. One more national trophy is all I want!

I think of all the guys I will be competing against that hurt like me. Have responsibilities like me. Who worry about all they do and put into their bodies to look like this like I worry? We do what we do because its what we are. You cannot do well in this sport and not suffer. Prices must be paid without a doubt. The rewards to me however are more than worth it!

I look forward to doing battle with all my Masters brothers. Lets be as safe as we can and put up the best package we can and make people marvel that people our age can look like we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment