Friday, June 18, 2010

STRENGTH TRAINING IS FOR EVERYONE by Lisa Clark

I was fifty years old and had never stepped into a gym before. I had never been involved in one sport's activity (except a bowling league age 10, if that counts), my entire life. You could say that I had no desire to be competitive. Only weighing 115 pounds, my arms jiggled, my tummy had a big smiley face in the roll and my butt had fallen off.

My husband gave me a gym membership as a gift. Hmm, what does that mean??? At the time I was quite intimidated by a gym and all the "hot" girls in there. I would sit in my car ten minutes contemplating how I could get out of this. My stomach churned with anxiety. That happened to me for at least six months. Adding a trainer once a week for a period of time helped me become acquainted with the equipment and to learn to set goals. I find now that after learning the "Hammer" way (INTENSE) , that I train much harder and am more productive.
I gained 10 pounds in a year but still held on to the belly fat. Only since February have I finally been able to lose 5 pounds of belly fat. I am happy at 120 pounds with shapely arms and a booty. (a continuous process of improvement!)
I have learned to be competitive with myself; my personal goals. I strive to look "hot" for my husband, who is a bodybuilder. Talk about pressure. I have to try to look good next to him. I now look forward to going to the gym. It no longer intimidates me. I actually like the smells of metal and sweat. It triggers that "competitive" drive. Did I say competitive?

My day begins around 4:30 am with a little cardio or circuit training in our home gym. I have two hours driving time to work and back, and an average nine hour work day as a Registered Nurse in a busy outpatient recovery room. I LOVE my gym time now, at least three days a week one and one-half hour strength training routines.I manage to get about 75 miles of cycling a week in from spring to fall. I still do the shopping, cooking, and cleaning and the other fun "wifey" things. You will make time to do things that are important to you.

Thank you Hammer for the gym membership and for all the encouragement that you give me. I couldn't do it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment