Monday, August 2, 2010

Power Shack Classic in the books



Lisa and I are back from Biloxi, where I competed in the 1st annual Power Shack Classic. First of all let me give a big ups to the promoter of the show Mike with Power Shack! All I can say is wow. The amateurs got a small taste of what it must feel like to be treated like a pro! The fact that the event was held in an a coliseum was big enough. But the outstanding part was the hospitality that was forwarded to all the competitors. There wasn't any detail left out to make it easier for us. The expeditor's were all over us the entire time, go here, do this, get over here, stand there, you're next. Doesn't sound like much but to a carb depleted air head like me it is nice being told exactly what to do. I'm too busy thinking about how not to trip over my own two feet. (Which I almost did, more on that later)

The goody bags they handed out were full of useful supplements not some extra stuff nobody wants as is the usual. And the list of Pros that were there was very cool. I didn't pay any attention to any of them except for my man, the one and only Branch Warren. I couldn't believe how accessible he was to everyone and how friendly he was. He is kinda like my hero! The way the guy trains is intense and I try to immulate that phioloshy in my training. I told him that and I got a funny look, hmm. So I said another stupid thing just to make sure he knew I was definitely a dork. I said, "so Branch what do I have to do to get those freaky legs?" He gave me a "are you fucking kidding me kinda look" and I quickly before he could say anything, said "I'm just foolin with ya." He didn't seem amused.

Well, as far as my showing went I would have to say this was a big success. Maybe that sounds strange from someone that finished fourth in his class but I really do feel good about what went down and that's what this is really all about, how good this makes you feel about yourself. Keeping this in perspective. I really only prepped 3-4 weeks for this show, taking it on a whim because of a sponsorship offer. Which I must say was very cool having all the expenses of this event paid for by the very gracious Mr Russ Mess of Max Fit in Ft Walton Beach, FL.

I tried a different approach this time to the drying out process thanks to the help of the lil giant killa, Rusty Disher. His plan dried me out like a soda cracker. I think I missed the water depletion by maybe 6-12 hours, because I looked the best Friday night, with details and striations I never had seen before in my quads and hams. By Saturday morning some of it had watered away but I still had good separation. It sucked that I was almost last to go on stage and the water had even more time to return. But all in all, still had a good look.

The pre judging itself was disappointing. It seemed they had made their selection for top 3 before we got out there. I was first in line and didn't get moved to the center, never a good sign. And as it turned out I was right. I placed fourth. But after refection, it was a good call. The guy that won was very short with good symmetry and the second place guy had a very small waist and was also short which gives the illusion of good symmetry. The third place guy had maybe a slightly tighter waist and lower back. The lower back I think cost me third place. These local shows are frustrating because I always show up the most muscular and never win. Now I know how my friend Branch feels when he wins the most muscular awards and sometimes finishes second place overall!

That's ok, because when we get to the national stage these little guys won't be around. It takes overall density and conditioning to win there and I have the density and can achieve the conditioning. All I need to do is add some serious mass to my outer quads. I have 7 months to do that. Shouldn't be a problem. No more diets. Time to eat and grow. If I haven't added 2 inches to my legs by April I will concede and retire. I just cant see that happening. I am very focused on what I have to do.

Until then Peace and Be Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment