Saturday, February 5, 2011

Reload Re-Visited

Hany Rambod creator of the training technique called FST-7, and super trainer/nutritionist of Jay Cutler and Phil Heath, among others, has given me a new idea on my training schemes. This is really nothing new. Just a new twist.

In Hany's FST-7 system he has what he calls "Re-Load". To explain that technique I will first give you a brief rundown of FST-7. FST-7 means that at the end of training a specific body part you add in 7 sets of a particular exercise for that body part, normally an isolation move. In between the sets, you stretch the fascia of the muscle trained. The only rest period between the sets is enough time to stretch, flex and sip water. The idea being that time frame should be between 30 and 45 seconds.

Ok, now that you understand FST-7 in general, he has added advanced techniques called front load and re-load. Front load would be hitting the 7 sets in the beginning of the body part trained. Re-load technique is doing both the front and back end 7 sets.

So based on that theory, which is basically over loading the muscle trained as well as using the training a lagging body part twice a week system, I came up with this, which I call a re-load day, which is late in my week's training split.

I like to hit my most lagging part first, while I am the freshest, which is legs (either quads or Hams). Then the next day would be my second most lagging part which would be chest/tris. Then on the third day it would be back/bis, my strongest body part, therefore it is placed last amongst the "big" body part training days. Then it's rest day. After a rest day I'm energized again and ready for a big day. So I came up with this re-load theory. Same parts, but less volume but very heavy with the same rep ranges and to failure approach as earlier in the week. An example of re-load day for me would be:

Chest: Incline presses 4-5 sets, work set always to failure either by rest pause and or drop set.

Triceps: some type of heavy push down super set with an overhead or reverse grip extension
same concept as chest, 4-5 sets, work set to complete failure.

Biceps: 3-4 sets of very intense slow and intense mind to muscle connection concentration curls, either dumb bell or bar bell, always on preacher bench to take the delts out of the equation.

Lower Back: 3-4 sets of heavy reverse hyper extensions

Legs: Usually just some sort of lunges, but extra intense and slow. Already training legs on two separate days split between quads and hams, re-loading them would be over training.

Notice there is no back or delts. Both strong parts for me so I don't want to over develop them and back was the last big part trained, so it needs the rest anyway for complete recovery.

The 6th day of the split is calves/delts.

7th day is either quads or hams, the opposite of what was done on day # 1.

Next day is rest. This is the hardest day for me! But you must rest to grow!

I've done this for the last two weeks and seems to keep me harder throughout the week.
I've always got an eye on the "over-training" issue because I like to train hard, long and often. It's easy for me to get caught up in the over-trained, flat look. (last year's mistake) So I think I have found a good compromise.

The key points to the "Re-Load" concept.
Do a different exercise than the one you did on the main day, or do the same exercise but in a different manner. Angle change, rep range, weights, etc.
Only do 4-6 sets for each body part trained
Go as intense as possible, since you are only doing a few sets, the work set here should be at least as heavy than on a normal day and if possible heavier, since the volume is going to be lower.
Go to absolute beyond complete failure, rest pause several times, then start dropping weight and going to failure until you barely move ridiculously light weight.

Sign the disclaimer form before attempting this, then give it a try. It's working for me but not be for everyone.

Stay Strong!

MC

No comments:

Post a Comment